The latest update for Proton GE, version 8.28, marks a significant milestone, especially for gamers playing titles outside of Steam. This update introduces ULWGL (Unified Launcher Wine Game Launcher) support, a revolutionary step in enhancing the gaming experience across various launchers.
The introduction of ULWGL support (ULWGL on GitHub) is a game-changer for the Proton ecosystem. It not only simplifies the process of making non-Steam games compatible but also ensures a more seamless gaming experience. This update is particularly beneficial for Steam Deck users, who often explore games beyond the Steam library.
[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; no appID found.from being reported when running non-steam games
- non-steam games will now run using wine inside proton rather than calling steam.exe with wine then the game inside steam -- this goes alongside the API failure fix
- controller axis patch added from 8-27 has been removed as it is now properly upstreamed
- added ULWGL support for non-steam games (https://github.com/Open-Wine-Components/ULWGL)
- beamng VR patch removed per request by developers, they have stated they will fix the issue in 0.32 (https://www.beamng.com/threads/experimental-virtual-reality.94206/page-27#post-1674152)
- black desert online now works
- now using ULWGL-protonfixes
- can now call the winetricks gui using util.protontricks('gui')
- winetricks now performs an internet check before attempting any downloads
- fixed long standing issue with protontricks not being able to install dotnet4* using anything newer than proton 5. works now and no longer requires proton 5.
- fixed dll overwrites in winetricks, no longer need to maintain a massive list of specific overwriteable dlls in proton
- protonfixes added for Catherine Classic -- videos now fully working
- protonfixes added for Ys Origin -- videos now fully working
- protonfixes for Age of Wonders -- videos now fully working
- protonfixes added for Model 2 emulator
- protonfixes added for Alien Breed: Impact
- protonfixes added for Alien Breed 2: Assault
- protonfixes added for Alien Breed 3: Descent
- protonfixes added for Black Desert Online NOSTEAM=1 option. Launch game like
NOSTEAM=1 %command%to launch non-steam standalone version.
Files will auto-attach to release when finished building in Actions: https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/proton-ge-custom/actions
Don’t miss out on what else we’ve got on XP Gained! We’ve got daily Xbox, Playstation, Nintendo, PC , Steam Deck and other Gaming News. We have it all covered.
Sign up to comment or follow us on X (formerly Twitter).