Skip to content
Article header image for Destiny 2 Dies June 9 With One Final Update
Gaming News3 min read

Destiny 2 Dies June 9 With One Final Update

Bungie announced that Destiny 2 will receive its final live-service content update on June 9, 2026, ending nearly a decade of active development on the MMO shooter.

Nathan Lees
Share:

Nine years. That's how long Destiny 2 has been running, and on June 9, Bungie is pulling the plug on active development for good.

In a blog post titled "Every End is a New Beginning", the studio confirmed today that the final live-service content update, called Monument of Triumph, will land on June 9, 2026. After that, no more updates. Destiny 2 will remain online and playable, much like the original Destiny still is, but the era of new content drops, seasonal passes, and sandbox shakeups is finished. "While our love for Destiny 2 has not changed," Bungie wrote, "it has become clear that after The Final Shape, we have reached the time for our shared worlds, and Destiny, to live beyond Destiny 2."

The writing has been on the wall for a while now. The Final Shape wrapped up the Light and Darkness saga in 2024, and everything since has felt like a game searching for a reason to keep going. Edge of Fate introduced unpopular systemic changes, the Portal UI replacement frustrated players, and the content drought that followed pushed weekly player counts off a cliff. Bungie had originally planned a spring update called Shadow and Order, delayed it to June 9, and has now replaced it entirely with this farewell package. I think most honest Destiny players will tell you the game really ended with The Final Shape; it just took Bungie two years to admit it.

Monument of Triumph itself sounds like a proper sendoff, at least. A new Pantheon with souped-up raid bosses, loot refreshes across raids and destinations, new subclass Aspects and grenades for all classes, and the return of Sparrow Racing League as a permanent mode. The Director screen that players have been begging for since its removal last year is finally coming back, replacing the Portal as the game's central interface. There's a new Exotic hand cannon, a reworked reward pass, and small character beats to give the story some closure. Every Destiny 2 content pack will also be bundled into a single purchase alongside permanent price cuts. Bungie says it will share more details in the weeks ahead.

What's absent from the announcement is any mention of Destiny 3. Bungie says it will "begin work incubating our next games," but that language is vague enough to mean almost anything. This comes after Sony's most recent financial results included a $765 million cumulative impairment loss tied in part to its $3.6 billion Bungie acquisition. Marathon, Bungie's extraction shooter, launched but has struggled to retain players heading into its second season. The studio is clearly at a crossroads, and I'm not convinced even Bungie knows what comes next.

One detail that's hard to ignore: the Eververse cash shop stays open. You can still spend real money on Silver for cosmetics in a game that will no longer receive development support. Classic Bungie, right to the very end.

Share:

Stay on top of every update — find all the latest patch notes and gaming news at XP Gained. Join our Discord for live patch note alerts and discussion.

Written by

Nathan Lees

Gaming journalist and founder of XP Gained. Covering patch notes, breaking news, and updates across 160+ games.

Related Posts

Article header image for Marathon's $200M Bet Now Has a Multi-Year Plan
Gaming News

Marathon's $200M Bet Now Has a Multi-Year Plan

Bungie says it knows where Marathon's story is headed for the next few years, but with an estimated $200 million budget and around 2 million copies sold, the financial pressure behind that promise is enormous.

Nathan Lees3 min read